TC41: MANAGING MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENTS
5 December 2018
09:30 – 17:00
Broadway House, SW1H 9NQ
A one day training course for those new to the sector providing an overview of residential long leasehold management.
Residential and commercial management: An excellent knowledge of one does not imply a competence to handle the other. Tutors : Peter Forrester, FRICS - MD, Peter Forrester SCCS Ltd, Chairman of the RICS Commercial Service Charge Professional Group (lead author for the RICS Code of Practice for service charges in commercial property and co-author of “Residential & Commercial Service Charges”). Jeff Platt, BSc Est Man, FRICS, FIRPM - M.D. Sec20 Ltd, CEO IRPM (Author of the RICS Guidance on Managing Mixed Use Developments).
This one-day course is based around the RICS Guidance on managing mixed-use developments. It examines the practical difficulties imposed by the different statutory and regulatory regimes for commercial and residential property. The course utilises a hypothetical development of mainly residential (leasehold flats and freehold houses) and commercial units (shops and offices) with shared elements where the Landlord has appointed one agent to manage all.
Course topics include :
- the respective legal frameworks, illustrating common core principles and differences;
- the legal structure – residential, affordable, commercial;
- allocation and apportionment;
- Landlord & Tenant Act 1954, FRI leases, rack rentals, rent reviews/renewals – record keeping;
- VAT - Landlord’s election to waive exemption, utilities and shared areas ;
- Service Charge Accounts and certification;
- Consultation communication and transparency;
- Repairs, improvements and refurbishments;
- Sinking and Reserve Funds;
- Management Fees;
- Right to challenge/dispute resolution.
This course is for experienced residential property managers who have little/no experience of managing commercial property or mixed-use estates and need to ensure their knowledge spans both elements when tendering for or taking on such a management.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO BOOK YOUR PLACE