At a time of unprecedented change, our theme this year is Agents for Change. During the day we will be exploring the key challenges facing the sector – the repercussions of the Grenfell tragedy, regulation of managing agents and leasehold law reform – and
asking the question: are we agile enough not only to survive but also to thrive? ARMA's Annual Conference and Dinner continues to be the residential leasehold sector’s largest annual conference.
We are delighted to have secured some first-class speakers and pre-eminent experts in their field. Cassandra Zanelli, Partner at PM Legal Services, will be our Moderator for the day. We will be welcoming Tony Hymers’ maiden speech
as ARMA Chair, and ARMA CEO Dr Nigel Glen will provide an update on ARMA’s strategy and direction. Andrew Pattison, MHCLG, has been leading the team supporting Dame Judith Hackitt’s Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety and will present the findings from the Review. The core focus of the programme will comprise
three consecutive sessions: keynote speaker Law
Commissioner Professor Nicholas Hopkins will provide an update on residential leasehold and commonhold reform; Lakhbir Hans, Deputy Director MHCLG, will present a review of the regulation of managing agents; and Jim Fitzpatrick, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, and Barrister Simon Allison will take us through the pros and cons of the Law Commission’s and MHCLG’s projects.
This will lead into our expert panel discussion which will debate the future of leasehold and we will be joined by James Duncan (Partner, Winckworth Sherwood), Graham Donaldson (Director, Mainstay Group) and Debra Yudolph (Partner, SAY Property Consulting).
After lunch, digital marketing guru James Dearsley will deliver a thought-provoking insight into how PropTech will impact on the sector, while Sue Petri will take a look at the role of women in property management and consider the lessons that can be learned.
To bring the day to a close, the ever-entertaining Justin Bates and Ayesha Omar from Arden Chambers will provide a legal update on recent case law.
Our post-Conference drinks reception is a great opportunity for delegates to relax, compare notes and discuss the main points from the day. This will be followed by Dinner and a yet-to-be-revealed entertainment act.
• An up-to-the-minute report from keynote speaker Professor Nicholas Hopkins on the Law Commission’s work on residential leasehold and common hold reform
• A first-hand insight into Dame Judith Hackitt’s Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety
• Hear the very latest on the regulation of managing agents from the MHCLG
• The pros and cons of leasehold reform and the regulation of managing agents
• Gain a better understanding of ARMA’s strategic direction
• A digital marketing guru’s view on how PropTech will impact on the sector
• What is the role of women in property management?
• Look at the cases that changed the law in 2018 from top barristers.